ExtendSim包含了当代仿真软件必须包含的特色:可以重复使用的建模模块、终端用户界面开发工具、灵活的自定义报告图表生成机制和与其他应用系统集成的方法。此外，ExtendSim包含一个基于消息传递的仿真引擎，提供一种迅速的模型运行机制和灵活建模机制。ExtendSim的模块可以很容易地搭建并组合在一起，这一点使得ExtendSim在众多行业得到广泛认可，包括通讯、制造、服务、卫生、物流和军事等。形象的动画、有效的调试工具和建模的透明性能够帮助我们校验、确认模型。ExtendSim建模的透明性可以使建模者非常容易地看到模型是怎样运行的。这里包括交互式的模型运行方法、能够显示模块和其他模块之间相互关系的交互式调试工具。开放的源程序能够使建模者看到模型运行的每一个细节，包括事件触发、资源分配甚至还可以更细微到每个事件的时间分配是如何解决的。这些工具缩短了确认模型所需要的时间。建模者通过拖拉的方法可以非常容易地创建完全交互式的界面模块，这些可以被保存到自己创建的模块库中，可以在将来任何建模的过程中重复使用。ExtendSim提供了1000多个系统函数可以实现和数据库、EXCEL和其他数据源的集成，充分利用WINDOWS操作系统的资源，可以和Delphi、C++ Builder、Visual Basic、Visual C++代码链接。
Simulation is the act of representing a problem, situation, or process by mathematically modeling it on a computer. It is:
● arrow An analysis tool used to predict the effect of changes on existing systems
● arrow A design tool to predict the behavior or performance of potential new systems
ExtendSim is a powerful, leading edge simulation tool. Using ExtendSim, you can develop dynamic models of existing or proposed processes in a wide variety of fields. Use ExtendSim to create models from building blocks, explore the processes involved, and see how they relate. Then change assumptions to arrive at an optimum solution. ExtendSim and your imagination are all you need to create professional models that meet your business, industrial, and academic needs.
Simulation with ExtendSim
ExtendSim is an easy-to-use, yet extremely powerful, tool for simulating processes. It helps you understand complex systems and produce better results faster. With ExtendSim you can:
● Predict the course and results of certain actions
● Gain insight and stimulate creative thinking
● Visualize your processes logically or in a virtual environment
● Identify problem areas before implementation
● Explore the potential effects of modifications
● Confirm that all variables are known
● Optimize your operations
● Evaluate ideas and identify inefficiencies
● Understand why observed events occur
● Communicate the integrity and feasibility of your plans
What ExtendSim can do
ExtendSim allows you to simulate any system or process by creating a logical representation in an easy-to-use format.
With ExtendSim, you get powerful modeling constructs, including:
● A full set of building blocks that allow you to build models rapidly
● A customizable graphical interface that depicts the relationships in the modeled system
● Unlimited hierarchical decomposition making enterprise-wide models easy to build and understand
● Dialogs, Notebooks, and an integrated database for changing model values, so you can quickly try out assumptions and interface with your model dynamically
● 2D and realistic 3D animation of the model for enhanced presentation
● A full-featured authoring environment for building user-friendly front ends that simplify model interaction and enhance communication
● The ability to adjust settings dynamically, while the simulation is running
● An equation editor for creating custom-compiled equations
● The ability to create new blocks with custom dialogs and icons
● Complete scalability since model size is limited only by the limits of your system
● Evolutionary optimization, Monte Carlo, batch-mode, and sensitivity analysis
● Customizable reports and plotters for presentation and in-depth analysis
● Activity-based costing capabilities for analyzing cost contributors
● Full connectivity and interactivity with other programs and platforms
A robust architecture adds advanced features to make it the most scalable simulation system available:
● Multi-purpose simulation. ExtendSim is a multi-domain environment so you can dynamically model continuous, discrete event, discrete rate, agent-based, linear, non-linear, and mixed-mode systems.
● Library based. The blocks you build can be saved in libraries and easily reused in other models.
● Integrated compiled programming language and dialog editor, optimized for simulation. Modify ExtendSim’s blocks or build your own for specialized applications.
● Scripting support. Build and run models remotely, either from an ExtendSim block or from another application.
● Integrated support for other programming languages. Use ExtendSim’s built-in APIs to access code created in Delphi, C++ Builder, Visual Basic, Visual C++, etc.
● Over 1000 functions. Directly access functions for integration, statistics, queueing, animation, IEEE math, matrix, sounds, arrays, FFT, debugging, DLLs, string and bit manipulation, I/O, and so on; you can also define your own functions.
● Message sending. Blocks can send messages to other blocks interactively for subprocessing.
● Sophisticated data-passing capabilities. Pass values, arrays, or structures composed of arrays.
● Full support for a wide range of data types and structures. Arrays, linked-lists, and integers, real, and string data types are built in.
● Integrated data linking. Connect block dialog data to internal databases.
More than 20 years in the making... ExtendSim is an innovative, revolutionary simulation tool.
All ExtendSim full-featured products have the same core set of capabilities. ExtendSim CP is the base package and is used for continuous modeling. Subsequent packages add modules designed for specific markets -- discrete event in OR, discrete rate in AT, and 3D animation in Suite. For more details on available packages, see ExtendSim Product Line.
Experience the advantages ExtendSim users realize every day ExtendSim maximizes modeler productivity. It is an interactive, reusable, and visual tool that accelerates model building and enhances your understanding of complex systems.
Even during a model run, ExtendSim parameters and model logic can be changed "on the fly" rather than having to wait until the simulation ends. This means you can get fully involved with an ExtendSim model, even play with it, and leave no alternative unexplored. ExtendSim's point and click interactivity translates into faster answers and winning solutions.
You can create, reuse, even distribute ExtendSim blocks – the components that comprise a model. Group existing blocks to save them as one hierarchical block. Or develop custom blocks with unique behaviors, icons, and dialogs. Store your new block in an ExtendSim library for reuse in other models or for distribution to others. Block reusability increases productivity, improves consistency of design, and avoids having to reinvent the wheel each time you build a new model.
Because of its powerful constructs and unlimited hierarchical structure, ExtendSim is the simulation tool of choice for producing complex, accurate enterprise-wide models, while remaining practical enough to build small to mid scale models. Plus, ExtendSim gives you the option to add more flexibility in the form of third party modules and companion products. With ExtendSim, you always have full capability to model any size project.
Block icons convey the structure and behavior of the model at a glance. In ExtendSim, both the flow of items and the flow of values are graphically represented. This unique mapping of visual meanings into their equivalent icons promotes quick understanding of a model to anyone viewing it.
ExtendSim has an integrated relational database and supports COM/ActiveX and ODBC. Dynamically link data to an ExtendSim database, embed an Excel spreadsheet in a model, control an external application, or have the other application control ExtendSim. These technologies have been implemented as modeling components so that communication within ExtendSim and between applications are drag-and-drop operations, with no programming necessary.
Extendable (open source)
ExtendSim block components are developed using its compiled language and integrated development environment. They are Open Source to allow modification and enhancement. You can alter existing blocks and develop new proprietary components for distribution to internal or external customers. Linking to code and routines written in external languages is also supported. ExtendSim's open source architecture gives you the freedom to model anything.
ExtendSim is so flexible it has become the simulation engine used by most OEM developers and the learning tool used by most educators. This expands ExtendSim’s reach around the globe. That’s why you will find ExtendSim in so many applications, products, and textbooks.
ExtendSim was the first simulation program to successfully bring simulation to the desktop. Originally released as Extend in 1988, ExtendSim brought capabilities to analysts that were previously available only to mainframe computers. The vision which led to the first graphical simulation environment continues today. In the process of developing and enhancing ExtendSim, Imagine That! has scored a number of 'firsts' in the simulation industry.
Levels of use
You can use ExtendSim on many levels:
● Run pre-assembled models and explore alternatives by changing the data. If you work in a group environment, one or more authors can create models for others to run for experimentation. The author can also build a custom front end to facilitate user interaction with the model. The Analysis RunTime version of ExtendSim allows non-modelers to run pre-assembled models, change data, and obtain results.
● Assemble your own models from the blocks that come with ExtendSim. ExtendSim is shipped with libraries of blocks to handle most modeling needs. To assemble a model, pull blocks from libraries and link connectors on the blocks. You can also assemble your own hierarchical blocks of subsystems and save them in libraries. This saves starting from scratch when you’re building a model of a process that has elements in common with a previous model.
● Use the integrated development environment to create new blocks that conform to the ExtendSim modeling architecture. The development environment is optimized for simulation and allows you to create blocks with custom code, dialogs, and icons and use them in your models just as you would other ExtendSim blocks. You can also modify the blocks that come with ExtendSim to work with your specific needs.
● Develop your own modeling architecture, conventions, and features. With the ExtendSim development environment, you can create a custom set of blocks with unique interfaces, communication protocols, and behaviors. This new architecture can be continuous, discrete event, discrete rate, agent-based, or an entirely new type of simulation.
● Automate your model building using the scripting functions to build wizards, or by using ActiveX/COM. You can use ActiveX/COM or block-based wizards to cause models to be automatically created or modified. Models can be also be programmatically created from a user input form or data file. This allows the modeling environment to be utilized indirectly by end-users who have little or no simulation experience.
Extendsim product line
Full-featured products are available as single user (stand-alone) and concurrent user (network) licenses. All ExtendSim full-featured products have the same core set of capabilities. ExtendSim CP is the base package and is used for continuous modeling. Subsequent packages add modules designed for specific markets.
ExtendSim CPExtendSim CP
Our base product and the cornerstone of the ExtendSim family of simulation tools. It has a set of core features that are included in all ExtendSim products, plus specialized constructs for modeling continuous processes.
ExtendSim ATExtendSim AT
Our advanced technology product, ExtendSim AT is designed for the modeling and analysis of complex systems. Adds advanced discrete event and discrete rate modeling to ExtendSim OR.
ExtendSim SuiteExtendSim Suite
Professional 3D environment
Adds next generation 3D animation technology to ExtendSim AT, providing a three-dimensional representation of the world of the model.